RRS Discovery was the last wooden three-masted ship to be built in the British Isles, and was launched on 21 March 1901, designed for Antarctic research. Her first mission was the British National Antarctic Expedition, carrying Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first, successful journey to the Antarctic, known as the Discovery Expedition.
On 28 March 1986 Discovery left London aboard the cargo ship Happy Mariner to make her journey home to Dundee, the town that built her, arriving on the River Tay on 3 April to a tumultuous welcome. Moved to a custom built dock in 1992, Discovery is now the centrepiece of Dundee 's visitor attraction Discovery Point. The city also markets itself as The City of Discovery, in honour of RRS Discovery and the research work of the two universities in the city and the Ninewells teaching hospital.